Friday, April 25, 2008

In praise of the campus police log

That's the message of this blog post from GWblogspot. Sentiments I share - sort of - for the KSU police log. From GW blogspot:

We here at GW blogspot endeavor to keep the mainstream campus press (i.e. The Hatchet) in check, but we also give credit where credit is due.

I want to take a moment to say how much I love your crime log. Its awesome.... the first thing (sometimes the only thing) I read each week.

Its actually trashy gossip in a sense, but if there anything we've learned from the media at large lately, its that trash sells (and I for one am buying). While going through it weekly I do my best to put names, places and rumors together in hopes of figuring out if I know the guys who were throwing water balloons out their dorm window, the UPD officers that worked the Tonic champaign caper, or what couple was charged with lewd acts in a car on campus...

But its always such a bummer to get to the last line and read "The subjects were not affiliated with the University" (as was the case with the backseat romantics).

Kudos Amy D'Onofrio. Thanks for keeping us all informed about the often comedic actions of UPD, homeless folks, those pesky "unaffiliated" individuals and of course my friends and neighbors. Can you add a few more details in the future? Perhaps some pictures? Names? just kidding about the last one... well, kinda...

Suggestion: do an end of year 'best of the crime log' article. If you don't I just may.

DISCLAIMER: I realize the crime log also serves as an important public service and also don't mean to diminish any of the serious incidents that are reported.



TK: My take, as an alum, is that the KSU police log is underappreciated and under reported by the Collegian, K-State's student paper. As far as I can tell, the Collegian pays virtually no heed to the campus police log and does not link to an electronic version of the campus police log, though it does publish the police blotter for Riley County. In fact, the KSU listserve shows only 120-something subscribers to the KSU police log in total. The fact that interested parties must subscribe to the police log (no easy task in itself) in the first place is bothersome. K-State needs to publish its police log online make the daily document - startlingly full of details at times - more widely available to all.


No comments:

campus crime - Bing News