Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bumbots

From LSU, comes this suggestion of a way to fight crime:

Campus Crime Briefs would be a lot less exciting each week if the University would just bite the bullet and invest in a team of vigilante robots that fight crime.I know what you're thinking, and I agree. The University should make me a highly-paid consultant. Every University administrator knows my ideas are golden tickets straight to flagship university status.Usually, when my words can clearly change lives and re-define the way we think about higher education, they have all the effect of pearls before swine. This time is going to be different because vigilante robots already exist and are already fighting crime in America.These robots can actually make the University safer - just ask Atlanta bar owner Rufus Terrill.
Terrill - a former Marine - built and designed his own robot to protect the area surrounding his bar, according to The Associated Press. His nightly patrol includes the downtown area and a nearby day-care center. If some reports are to be believed, Terrill's unique take on night-time security may just stop crime in its tracks."This isn't fun," Terrill told the AP. "I don't like being here every night. I'd be able to better run my business. But I have to spend all my time being the sheriff."Now, I'm the first to admit few other "sheriffs" have a 300-pound robotic deputy, but I see no reason why the University can't take a chance to lead Louisiana in crime fighting just as it does in education.You can't argue with results, you know?The University already has the raw materials to build these robots. A Feb. 21 article in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution outlines the robots' rudimentary design, and by my estimation, it falls within what remains possible in Louisiana.

From Youtube:

No comments:

campus crime - Bing News